6th hurricane shelter opens in Hernando County
A news release from Hernando County Office of Public Information:
Hernando County has already sheltered 325 residents and is
anticipating additional demand as the storm approaches. On Saturday, September
9, at 8 a.m., an additional shelter located at West Hernando Middle School,
14325 Ken Austin Parkway in Brooksville, will be open.
Other shelter locations:
* Challenger K-8 School of Sciences and Mathematics
13400 Elgin Blvd., Spring Hill, FL 34609
Designated special needs shelter
* D.S. Parrott Middle School
19220 Youth Dr., Brooksville, FL 34601
Designated pet-friendly shelter
* Explorer K-8
10252 Northcliffe Blvd., Spring Hill, 34608
* Hernando High School
700 Bell Ave., Brooksville, 34601, Brooksville, FL 34601
* Nature Coast Technical High School
4057 California St., Spring Hill, FL 34604
Tips for shelter residents
* Bring identification.
* Eat prior to arrival. The first meal will be dinner.
* Bring air mattress or sleeping bag, cots will not be provided.
* Bring medicines, blanket/sheet, snacks, water and personal hygiene products.
* Call the special needs registry at (352) 754-4083 to request transportation.
* Make every effort to carpool due to limited parking at schools.
* The Challenger K-8 special needs shelter does not accept pets unless they
are certified service animals. If you are evacuating to the special needs
shelter and have a pet(s), Hernando County Animal Control will transport your
pet(s) to Hernando County Animal Services. Please call (352) 754-6830 to
arrange transportation of your pet(s).