Hillsborough alert says tropical storm winds expected now
From the Hillsborough County Emergency Operations Center:
Impacts from Hurricane Irma’s strong tropical force winds will be impacting your area as early as 8 a.m. You should have completed your protective measures at this time. To insure your safety, please go to a safe location inside and be prepared to ride out this storm. The time is imminent.
Hillsborough County, Fla. (Sept. 10, 2017) - As Hurricane Irma approaches, Hillsborough County residents need to have transitioned from preparing a hurricane plan to executing their hurricane plan. Beginning this morning, conditions are expected to deteriorate throughout the day, and residents should be in a safe location or prepare to shelter in place.
More than 21,000 people had taken refuge in Hillsborough County shelters by Sunday morning. Special-needs shelters are at capacity. Residents with special needs can go to any of the open available shelters below. Barrington Middle School is accepting pets, but can no longer accept dogs.
These shelters are currently OPEN:
* Barrington Middle School, 5925 Village Center Drive, Lithia
* Benito Middle School, 10101 Cross Creek Blvd., Tampa (wheelchair-accessible)
* Bevis Elementary School, 5720 Osprey Ridge Drive, Lithia
* Bloomingdale High School, 1700 East Bloomingdale Ave., Valrico
* Cimino Elementary School, 4329 Culbreath Road, Valrico
* Collins Elementary School, 12424 Summerfield Blvd., Riverview
* Cork Elementary School, 3501 N. Cork Rd., Plant City
* Hammond Elementary School, 8008 N Mobley Road, Odessa
* Knights Elementary School, 4815 N. Keene Road, Plant City
* Lake Magdalene Elementary School, 2002 Pine Lake Drive, Tampa
* Marshall Middle School, 18 South Maryland Ave., Plant City
* Mulrennan Middle School, 4215 Durant Road, Tampa (wheelchair-accessible)
* Nelson Elementary School, 5413 Durant Road, Tampa
* Newsome High School, 16510 Fish Hawk Blvd., Lithia (wheelchair-accessible)
* Reddick Elementary School, 325 West Lake Drive, Wimauma
* Sessums Elementary, 11525 Ramble Creek Drive, Riverview
* Tomlin Middle School, 501 N. Woodrow Wilson, Plant City
* Wilson Elementary School, 702 English St., Plant City
These shelters are now FULL:
* Armwood High School, 12000 U.S. 92 (wheelchair accessible)
* Bartels Middle School, 9020 Imperial Oak Blvd., Tampa (pet-friendly)
* Brandon High School, 1101 Victoria Street, Brandon
* Burnett Middle School, 1010 N Kingsway Road, Seffner
* Cannella Elementary School, 10707 Nixon Road, Tampa
* Carrollwood Elementary School, 3516 McFarland Rd., Tampa
* Chiles Elementary School, 16541 Tampa Palms Blvd. W, Tampa
* Cypress Creek Elementary School, 400 19th Ave NE, Ruskin
* Greco Middle School, 6925 East Fowler Ave, Temple Terrace
* Heritage Elementary School, 18201, East Meadows Road, Tampa
* Lockhart Elementary School, 3719 N. 17th St., Tampa
* McKitrick Elementary School, 5503 Lutz Lake Fern Road, Lutz
* McLane Middle School, 306 N. Knights Ave., Brandon
* Middleton High School, 4801 N 22nd Street, Tampa
* Pizzo Elementary School, 11701 Bull Run, Tampa
* Pride Elementary School, 18271 Kinnan St., Tampa
* The Regent, 6437 Watson Road, Riverview (special needs only)
* Riverview High School, 11311 Boyette Rd., Riverview
* Sgt. Paul Smith Middle School, 14303 Citrus Pointe Drive, Tampa (pet
* Sheehy Elementary School, 6402 N. 40th St., Tampa
* Shields Middle School, 15732 Beth Shields Ways, Ruskin (pet-friendly)
* Simmons Career Center, 1202 W Grant Street, Plant City
* Stowers Elementary School, 13915 Barrington Stowers Drive, Lithia
* SunDome at USF, 4202 E. Fowler Ave., Tampa (special needs only)
* Summerfield Crossings Elementary School, 11050 Fairway Meadow Drive,
* Turkey Creek Middle School, 5005 Turkey Creek Road, Plant City
* Valrico Elementary School, 609 South Miller Road, Valrico
* Wharton High School, 20150 Bruce B. Downs, Tampa (pet-friendly)
Residents should bring only essential items including: blankets, sleeping bags, pillows, and air mattresses; clothing and toiletries; prescriptions; special dietary foods and favorite snacks; diapers, bottles, and other baby supplies; important paperwork in a waterproof container. Cards, books, and games can help pass the time, especially for young children.
Residents bringing pets to a pet-friendly shelter must bring a sturdy carrier for each pet that allows room for the pet to stand up and move around, as well as a collar with a leash, and supplies for each pet to last seven days. More information on how residents can prepare their pets can be found at HCFLGov.net/residents/animals-and-pets/pet-ownership/pet-disaster-planning.
Residents can confirm evacuation zones and register for HCFL Alert, Hillsborough County's official public notification system, at HCFLGov.net/StaySafe or by calling (813) 272-5900.
Get Connected. Stay Alert.
Make sure to have a plan. Residents and visitors are encouraged to register for HCFL Alert, Hillsborough County's official public notification system for emergency and urgent alerts. To receive emergency notifications by text, text StaySafe to 888777. To receive messages by phone and email, go to HCFLGov.net/StaySafe. For more information, call (813) 272-5900.